Our Mission Statement
The purposes of this society shall be:
- To discover, procure, and preserve whatever may relate to the natural, civil, literary, and ecclesiastical history of the United States and the State of New York, in general, and to the Long Island City area in particular; and
- To display, present, and exhibit to the public such items of historical interest and significance, both real and personal; to conduct tours of the Long Island City area relating to points of historical interest and significance and any structures relevant thereto for public information and educational purposes; and
- To establish and maintain a library of information relating to the history of the Long Island City area; to establish and maintain collections of items of historical interest and significance including, but not limited to works of art and archaeological findings; and
- To designate places of historic interest in the Long Island City area with appropriate markers and monuments, and to acquire historical sites within the Long Island City area; and
- To accept, hold, administer and collect funds and property, both real and personal, to be used for the foregoing purposes, to collect membership dues, sell merchandise, and apply for grants; and to apply all of the earnings and assets of the society to the purposes above described; and to take all steps necessary to implement the purposes of the society; and to mortgage, purchase, rent or lease real or personal property; and/or any equipment necessary to carry out the society’s purposes.